Pages

.

The Watcher in the Water - custom scenario board finished.

Finally, managed to complete my Watcher in the Water terrain board... this kind of grew from a humble plan following the guide in the FOTR Journey book... But then I saw what effort Celevue had put into making his one on the The One Ring Forum... and remembering back to descriptions in the novel, I decided to expand my vision for the board...

I wanted to create the impression of a pretty sheer cliff face looming up, at the end of an old tree lined over grown path. If I recall correctly the region had become known as Hollin due to the holly trees that grew there and lined the path. I also wanted the stream to tumble down some smaller cliffs to the left of the path, and go on to fill a small lake or pool. This pool has washed away part of the path, revealing subsurface rocks and stones. The excess of water has also killed the trees whose position the pool has engulfed, so dead trees remain upright and also fallen and submerged through the pool.

Most of these features we don't see in the movie because it is set as a night scene, so the darkness means most of it was either simply not done, or couldn't be seen...

The board progressed well until I came to grief using some water effect products.... This had to be ripped off the board and other products researched and sourced, finally producing an effect I was after...

I have decided to show this fully illuminated, before we play the battle scene, as I am going to try some low lighting for the game to give it that night time quality...

So here's the board, I hope you enjoy the pictures.




The Doors of Durin...


Inscribed with Ithildin, which mirrors only star light and moonlight...


Speak Friend and Enter!....



And with the door open...



A better look at the stream and small waterfall


A close up of the water surface, also showing depth...


The stream, washing lighter silts through into the main pool...


Another water surface shot...


Reverse view from cliff tops...


Hopefully not too long now till we get round to playing the game!

No comments:

Post a Comment